At RG&Co we recognise that living and working in the Services can be very different from ‘civvy’ street. Our specialist Military department has been helping Service personnel for over 20 years and we are familiar with the Service way of life. We can help with you with a whole range of issues that you may face, such as a disciplinary (AGAI 67) matter, investigation by the Service Police, appeal against the COs award (summary appeal) or Court Martial.
Our Military team combine specialist knowledge with experience in providing military personnel with advice, assistance and representation. We regularly appear in the Courts Martial and can guide and assist you at all stages of your case, including service police interviews and formal hearings, whether they are in the UK or abroad.
Since the introduction of the Armed Forces Act 2006, we have been more than happy to represent clients of all ranks from all three Armed Services, civilian employees and dependants subject to Military Law/Discipline.
If you are interviewed by the Service or Civilian Police you are entitled to be assisted by an independent Civilian Legal Representative of your choice, free of charge. If you are charged with a military offence you can apply (through SSA or your Discipline Sergeant) for Legal Aid, and when doing so you are entitled to nominate a Legal Representative of your choice: don’t leave it up to the authorities to decide for you.
Some of Our Notable Cases
- R v J and other members of the Parachute Regiment . Murder of an Iraqi civilian in Iraq in 2003. The Defendant was in the 2nd Battalion Parachute Regiment so there was a general court martial. No body was produced – the defendant was acquitted on half-time submission.
- In R v Marines A, B and C : a murder case. This case involved two of our team members, Bob Scott was instructed as Junior Counsel and Nigel Holt was part of the legal team in the successful defence of Marine C, who was acquitted of a murder in Afghanistan.
- R v Sgt B : sexual assault. Successfully defended a male SNCO accused of sexually assaulting a female Pte soldier.
- R v Sgt C : sexual assault on a male. Instructing Solicitors and Junior Counsel in the successful defence of Sgt C.
- R v LCpl J : rape. Instructing Solicitors and Junior Counsel in the successful defence of LCpl J.
- R v Mr LW : murder. Instructing Solicitors and Junior Counsel in the defence of Mr LW at Winchester Crown Court.
- R v K . Instructed Solicitor, acting in the defence of an army sergeant accused of affray and assault on two soldiers, we succeeded in the case with a not guilty verdict that was reported nationally.
- R v LCpl S , a GBH case, successfully represented LCpl S, in a three-handed trial concerning a serious assault of a civilian in Afghanistan.
- In Rv Lt T : rape. We were instructed as Junior Counsel in the successful defence of Lt T.
“Your hard work and dedication in those months and weeks ahead of the trial were obvious, and that only became more apparent once we’d ‘gone into bat’. It was clear to me that the two of you are a fantastic partnership and, in my humble opinion, outshone all the other legal teams in the case hands down.”
“I am writing to express my thanks to you both for your kindness and support to us over the last eight months. Despite our feelings of despair, we always felt that you had belief and hope in the case.”
“I thank you from the very bottom of our hearts for all of your efforts, time and support you devoted to my case.”
“We will recommend your good self and practice to any individual needing legal advice.”
Help for Heroes