To provide full secretarial and administrative support ensuring all duties and responsibilities are conducted efficiently.
1) To draft, transcribe, word-process, type, bind/sew/collate and prepare documents as required including letters, forms, standard documents, briefs, bills etc. and prepare same for issue as necessary.
2) To deal with routine matters, correspondence and queries on own initiative.
3) To enter back-up record of key dates in the firm’s central diary, monitor diary notes and inform of forthcoming events and deadlines as appropriate.
4) Dealing with new, current and former clients by telephone and in person, take messages and make appointments.
5) Conducting Conflict of Interest check against Client Database.
6) File Management including
• opening new files and corresponding client index record;
• maintaining current files in neat order ensuring all required documentation is completed and filed;
• liaison with Accounts Department on completion of matters to check account is clear;
• closing files on completion and archiving.
7) To liase with client, counsel, and court and other third-parties as required.
8) To arrange conferences/meetings as requested.
9) To ensure that clients are, to the best of your ability, kept up to date at all times and to resolve any concerns promptly and courteously, reporting them as formal complaints for investigation when relevant.
10) To work at all times in accordance with the policies and practices defined within the Office Manual and to liase with [the Partners] regarding suggested improvements to any aspect of the quality system.
11) To assist as necessary with other duties commensurate with the post e.g. filing, photocopying, faxing, etc.
12) Time recording on Case Management System (Quill).
13) Monitoring emails in fee earners absence.
14) Assisting in the compliance of files with Legal Aid contract criteria.
15) To assist by providing reception cover when necessary
Person Specification – Skills, knowledge and experience required:
• Typing skills of more than 60 wpm
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Excellent IT skills
• Excellent organisational skills
• General Business Administration
• The operation of Law Firm
• Previous experience of working in family law (advantage)
• 2 years’ experience working as a Legal Secretary (preferable)
• Knowledge of Legal Aid (preferable)
• 3 A Levels at grade A* – C, or equivalent.